Saturday, March 24, 2007

the poor

Ever since I was a little girl I have been drawn to the sad realities of suffering in this world. In our kitchen pantry, my mother would have pictures of starving children in Africa. It sounds so cliche when we tell our children that there are "starving children in Africa" but there is nothing cliche about staring into their little faces. I don't think many of us like to think about these things. Most of the time we turn our eyes, ears & even our hearts away from these truths.

Worldwide, an estimated 10 million children are victims of today's sex industry.

An estimated 246 million children are engaged in child labour, with nearly 70 percent of them (about 171 million) working in hazardous conditions, including working in mines and quarries, working with chemicles and pesticides or with dangerous machinery

In South America there are at least 40 million street children; in Asia 25 million; in Africa 10 million and in Eastern and Western Europe approximately 25 million children and youth live on the streets.

Every year 15 million children die of hunger, Every 3.6 seconds someone dies of hunger

3 billion people in the world today struggle to survive on US$2/day

I don't want to be numb. I don't want to be blind. I don't want to miss out on what I was meant to do here on this earth. I want to be part of something that touches lives. I want to love and love and give and give. It's so big and I feel so small.

1 comment:

Glenda said...

It's when we're small that God can be the biggest force...it's when we do the small things that people are touched...thank you for reminding me that there is a lot more in the world than just me and my "issues"